December 16, 2005

Friday, December 16, 2005

A Soup and Snow Day!

The predicted storm has arrived, and with the snow driving out of the northeast, this storm just may live up to its advance billing. It's definitely a day to stay inside, which for me means cooking and baking.

When my kids were growing up, I loved snow days. All the kids in the neighborhood ended up at our house where, fortified with fried dough, popcorn, and hot chocolate, we played board and card games until the weather settled enough for sleds and snowballs. One thing we always did that still somewhat puzzles me - we always had spelling bees (of all things!), and they were always hilarious.

Later on, after I became a middle school teacher, I loved snow days. Bert and I had this deal... If I had a no-school day, he'd bring me home coffee and a chocolate croissant from the coffee shop where he meets his buds every morning. As a teacher, snow days were soooo treasured... serendipitous!

Now I work as a residential real estate appraiser, our office just steps from the back door. AND, I still love snow days! I may snuggle down and read of course, but I'll also cook. Earlier this morning I set a crockpot of vegetable soup to simmer. Starting with a quart of tomatoes, I added a small amount of leftover cooked wild rice, leftover cooked carrots, chopped, a can of black beans, some spinach and some three-cheese tortellini I'd been wanting to use up. Lots of oregano and basil, too. I'll add 3-P Dumplings later, little mounds of soft dough flavored with parmesan, parsley, and paprika, all added to my regular dumpling recipe. Colorful and delicious!

I think I'll go brew a fresh pot of tea and finish decorating the tree. I hope that you, too, have a cozy and peaceful day! Mary

No comments: